Government has again extended the ban on 4G internet services connecting it directly with national security. Recently on a contempt petition filed by the petitioners seeking restoration of 4G, the top court told the Union government and UT administration if they have already reviewed the matter and set up the committee they should keep all such developments in public domain.
In this connection the special committee that was constituted to look into the issue of restoring 4G internet in Jammu and Kashmir has decided against resuming the services, the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) informed the Supreme Court earlier this week.
In an affidavit filed Tuesday (21 July), in response to a contempt petition against the central government, the MHA said the committee will review its decision after two months.
That means for the common people of Jammu and Kashmir that they will have to live with low speed on the internet for another two months till the committee meets again.
The way the government is handling the matter it seems that in near future there is no possibility of restoration of high speed internet here.
Previously due to the clampdown by the central government on August 5, student community, doctors, research scholars and most of the business community members have suffered due to the disruption of life and no communication.
Most of the political parties’ civil societies members and various associations of doctors appealed to the central government for the restoration of high speed internet to ease the life of people here because of the fresh lockdown imposed due to coronavirus.